Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A very, very LOOOONG Day

The day started with the requisite weekly test. This was, as usual, a very grueling process. They either don't read the instructions or else they don't understand them. They all have questions about what they are supposed to do, even when the directions are quite simple. One time, in fact, all I had to do was to underline the instructions, and he knew what he had to do. This is very frustrating, and I am uncertain if I am going to be able to answer questions at all from now on. I caught two of them cheating, so I had to take their tests away. I hate doing that, but I guess I have to in order to be fair to everyone. If the students would cheat outright without trying to hide it, I wouldn't be so upset about it, but they are trying to be sneaky about it, so I know they know it is wrong, and that makes me very angry and frustrated!

Then we had the second class, which went quite well. During the break, I had students actually come to my office to talk with me!! A couple of them wanted to see their test grades, and then a couple of them just wanted to sit and talk. As class time approached, many of them wanted to get their picture taken with me. As today was a special day, the official opening of the college, most were dressed in the traditional Kurdish clothes. So, I stood around getting my picture taken.

Class lasted about 10 minutes and the dean came and told me that my class was needed as a backdrop for the Minister of Education to cut the ribbon. After the ribbon cutting, we split and the Minister and all the other dignitaries went to the other class while I returned to my own to get them seated so I could start teaching again. We worked on a worksheet to help them in using a dictionary. They didn't finish, but I didn't expect them to. They are having a difficult time understanding what they are supposed to look up or what information they can even find in a dictionary. They have no concept of using guide words, and I am not certain they understand alphabetical order. I really have to work with them on this a bit more.

Anyway, I was working with them when all of the people came in. (I refused to fake teach them, but I was actually writing something on the board, so the timing was great.) The Minister introduced himself to me, shook my hand, and asked me about my impression of the Kurdish traditional clothing. It is so colorful and quite beautiful, so I told him that. He then asked me about their English level. I told him that they were working hard and improving little by little. "When they first came here, they didn't know any English. Now, they are speaking a little. They are good students." It made me a little nervous that the TV camera was there in my class, but I guess that is what I get for teaching at a college that is just opening!!

After that, I let them leave and walk to the cafeteria. When they got there, I let my students go. There we got to listen to four or five speeches with only two in English; it was SOOOO boring!! I had to stop a couple of the students I was sitting next to from talking. I told them that there would be a test over the dean's speech. I don't think they believed me, though I think that had to do with my being obvious about it being a joke. They did quiet down though, so it worked. After the the speeches came refreshments!! Food is good in whatever language. We had sandwiches, bread circles topped with meat, or crab, or olives, etc. We also had cookies and some type of pastry, and drinks.

The music was playing, so my students dragged me into their line for dancing!! They really love to dance. It isn't a tough dance by any means, but it does take a little concentration when you are learning. It was so much fun being out there with everyone. I danced for much too long, but I didn't mind. My students thought it was wonderful that I was out there with them, and they were laughing at me, of course. I felt like I was making a fool of myself, but I really didn't mind (and that is a very different feeling for me).

After the dancing, during which many pictures were taken, it was time for us all to go and get an official picture. All the students and teachers and administrators, and government officials together as a group. I will hopefully get a copy of some of these pictures so I can show one or two of them to you. Then the big guys left, and there was more picture taking. And then I went back to work. Well, I did after I realized that I still had to work. I had already shut down my computer and grabbed my backpack because I misread the time. It was a little embarrassing. I decided to correct my students' tests...not a good idea.

Now I am online chatting with a friend from China while wondering what it is that my housemates are up to tonight. They have invited all these people to a party, but didn't tell me about it.They are unloading things here, so I wonder if the party is here....I guess I will find out soon enough. Though I asked and they are being deliberately cryptic. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment