Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back at last!!

I finally have internet connection at home again! I am not certain what the problem was, but it is fixed, and I am happy! A lot of things have happened in the past couple of days, so I will try to relate them to you as much as I can remember.

First of all, the issue with my roommates was mostly addressed. I sat down with them and discussed the issues, and it was agreed that my perception was not too far off and that we needed to work on ways to make it better: they have to be more conscious of the fact I don't speak Arabic, and I have to be more adamant in actually saying something when things start "getting out of hand". Not a bad idea if I do say so myself.

On the school front, I have been teaching long hours (relatively) and am getting a little burned out and frustrated from all of weirdness that goes on. We are taking the final test over this book and have not yet received the next book we were promised. Also, we are starting a new class on Saturday and then another one on the Saturday after that. They want to focus on speaking because they are professional veterinarians and are thus highly educated. They have studied in English for their degrees (though not necessarily primarily). So, they were given an interview and a written test to assess their level...they were then split according to the results of ...........the WRITTEN TEST!!!!!!

Call me strange, but I would think that if we are going to focus on speaking, the results of the interview would have been the primary determiner. Perhaps we are going to ignore what they want and focus on the other stuff instead. Who knows.

I have to go to work now, I will write more later.

1 comment:

  1. is it me or do they seem to do things backwards over there?

    Eldon Rice II

    ReplyDelete