Monday, April 6, 2009

A "sweet" day

Today started out to be much the same as all other work days. We went over our lesson on restaurants and such and in the afternoon we decided to talk about Wilbur and Orville Wright. Unfortunately, I also used this as a time to try to teach them to use the dictionaries; I had no idea that it would be so difficult. I think I need to find some exercises for them to do to get them really used to it.

The real treat, however, came around lunch time. One of the students lives in a small village in the mountains that is famous for sweet things. Among these is a fruit roll-up type snack made from pomegranate, some unidentified sweet gel type snacks that are coated in nuts of various kinds, and a small jar of what may or may not be sour cherries (with the consistency almost that of pie filling). Each of the teachers got these in a bag that looks like something you would use for Christmas time (blue with trees covered in snow, etc.) I am very thankful for these gifts, but they are sooooo sweet!!!

Of course today was also a strange day in that the power was off for around 1 - 2 hours. This was only in the main building though, so I was able to use the computer in my office which just today had the internet fixed on it. I wasn't really able to prepare for any lessons that needed things to be printed though :(

Wednesday is the test, but none of the students want to take it, and I really don't blame them. For one, we are all tested out, and for another, this is the day of the official opening ceremony of the college (which is chartered as a university...so we are on our way to that). Of course this means that I have to make the test too, with the input and help of my coworker. We are trying to come up with enough questions to cover everything...we are only going over two lessons this week instead of the usual 3 because it is a short week. We will probably do the same next week as well.

My students seem to have great senses of humor, and the ones that talk to me outside of class are fantastic. There is one who tells me that I am always hungry and that I need to eat. Such a worrier that one (though she is correct in her assessment). It is great to talk with them outside of class and give them advise on learning languages and how I am a bad student. Of course they never believe me, but I tell them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment