Sunday, April 26, 2009

Another proverb!

Last night, when I was hanging out with the teachers from the elementary school, I learned that one has an uncle who also wears his jacket in all kinds of weather. It seems that there is an old Arabic proverb that states something to the effect of "What keeps out the cold, keeps out the hot!" It seems that many years ago, women wore the black clothes to keep out both heat and cold; it was a cultural thing. It has sense become a religious thing, but it doesn't seem that the idea is lost....Once again I have found a proverb previously unknown to me that justifies my actions. Perhaps I have always been meant to be a person of the world. First it was a Ukrainian proverb, and now an Arabic one. I wonder what is next!

Today was an interesting day. I went over the tests that the students took on Thursday, and found a lot of mistakes and differences in markings. I am not sure it is possible to fix them, so I am going to just leave them alone. Most of them were only one or two points out of a possible 240, so it wouldn't really make that big of a difference anyway, but one, which I did change, was a 10 point miscalculation. I think we as teachers need to do a better job with our math and check each other after we do it. We also need to make sure that we are checking things exactly the same. This is not as easy to do with English as it is with Math, but it can be and should be done.

The students were really friendly and outspoken today, as well. It was great to hear them talk so much, but it wasn't always about the topic at hand...and they were starting to revert into Kurdish again! I hate when they do that because they know they are supposed to be trying to use English, and because I can't understand what is going on. But they did give me a something good to eat, so I guess that was a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. how is it possible that black clothes can keep out heat? white - yes, but black??

    ReplyDelete
  2. it isn't all about color; part of it is how it traps cool air in...and part of it is probably psychological.

    ReplyDelete