Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dusty, dry, and windy!!

This morning it was raining. This was not to last long, however. Just after arriving at work, it had stopped raining and the wind was blowing. The power kept going off and the sun was drying everything out. This weather is wreaking havoc on my lips, and many of my students are getting sick as well.

Speaking of my students, which I find it hard to imagine not mentioning on a day like today, they are improving, slowly though it may be. I was looking at the dictation of one of my lowest level students. The phrase was supposed to be was "A few days later...." This student wrote "Af you das layter...." I was ecstatic to see this; it means that he is connecting sounds to letters even if they are necessarily the right ones. A few....Af you...this works for me!

The rest of the day went similar. I helped to make the test for them tomorrow, went over lessons, corrected grammar sheets, etc. Ahh the life of a teacher. I think we are supposed to give them dictation tomorrow as well, but I am not sure what we will decide. We are testing them on whether the sound of the end of the word is /t/, /d/, or /ed/ after you add -ed (Ex. kissed, enjoyed, wanted). I also tried to help with the preparation of something else but quickly became frustrated as it was on the other person's computer, and they kept control over that.

All in all, I am thoroughly enjoying my time here. The opportunity to teach these students and shape this university is really one that I am treasuring. I wish I didn't have to work as much, and that I could travel a little more, but I think in the long run, this will be a really good boost for me both personally and professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment