Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another day over with a promise for the future

Today was test day. My students did not do very well, but they are doing much better than they have been. I am not sure if the material was easier, or if they are actually starting to catch on.

The person who used to be our copy girl and now works in the snack shop was very upset today. It seems that someone had left the door unlocked, and the money from the snack shop was missing. Fortunately the reason it was missing was because the boss came and took it, but he never told her. Even after we had found this out, no one informed her! I think we may have a problem with communication! It was a heart wrenching thing though. It seems she is having problems with her family, and with her health...she was so distraught and didn't know what to do. The thing that made it worse is that her English is not good enough to really communicate. I did understand that she isn't feeling welcome at her job.

After class I was given my letter of intent. They are asking me to come back. They are giving me an extra $100 a month if I decide to do so. I am not sure what I am going to do yet..but I think I may stay. I will have September off (until the 20th) during which time I will go home for a visit. It doesn't seem like a bad plan.

Tomorrow the teachers from the primary school are going out for a picnic to some small town somewhere. I was invited to go along, and I think I will brave the 8am wake-up call to do so. It will be interesting to see where people go when they haven't time to really do much. One of these days my housemate told me he would take me to Dohuk. This is a city one is supposed to see while here. I am supposed to be allowed one Saturday off, so if that happens, perhaps that
would be a good day to do that. I guess we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment