Saturday, April 11, 2009

Another night of confusion

I am once again in the process of winding down from a night at the SABIS primary school. Of course since all of the people I was there with are from Lebanon, they all speak Arabic. So, once again I have to sit around and wonder what is going on. At least this time they were good enough to every now and then tell me what they were talking about.

While this has been a problem for me lately, I didn't really mind it tonight. When I first got there, one of the teachers talked with me for awhile in English, and then some time during the course of the evening, there was a short discussion in English. I didn't feel quite as ignored as I have previously.

Before going there (I went without my residency card, by the way...I was feeling a little rebellious, I guess), we stopped off at a sweet shop where I had some ice-cream and they each had a kenafe (sp) in addition. I wasn't going to get anything, but they wouldn't leave me alone about it...I guess they just like to have everyone eating and no one being left out...it seems a little ironic to me.

For now wanting to go out tonight, I think it went quite well. I had a decent time, and everyone else felt good about it too, I think. Who knows, maybe I will grow used to all of this...though I would like to start experiencing more Kurdish culture as opposed to Lebanese :)

No comments:

Post a Comment