Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Night on the Town

Last night my housemates, some teachers from the other SABIS schools, and I went out to a local restaurant. It was another time that they waited until the last minute to ask if I wanted to join them...I had no idea they were going out, and they seem to have no idea how much stress it is for me to not know what is going on until the last minute...They also seem to think that I should know what is going on because they have all talked about it. Of course, they don't take into consideration that all their planning happens in Arabic, and I don't speak Arabic.

The restaurant was alright, though it was a little too fancy for my taste. I would never go there by myself. It was expensive by these standards ($13 for a hamburger may be a little expensive by most standards). There was live music, so that was nice. Of course, I once again felt rather left out as all of the conversation was in either Kurdish or Arabic, neither of which do I yet understand. Maybe one of these days I will have some idea.

We were there for three hours and then we came home. I was very tired, so I went to bed. This morning, just as they were getting ready to leave, they asked me if I wanted to go to the other teachers' house. I was just about to get ready, but then I decided that I didn't want to go. I wasn't ready to go off again at the last minute to sit in a place that I knew I wouldn't understand what was going on and probably wouldn't have a good time. So, I stayed home and did nothing all day. I am glad I didn't go because they were gone for much of the day, and this way I was able to rest.

Who knows what is to become of the rest of the day, but I am sure that I don't want to go anywhere. Tomorrow is another day off, and I am sure they are going to want to be doing things again. I wish I knew what I was going to do, or what they were going to ask me to do. I suppose I will find out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment