Sunday, April 1, 2012

First day of teaching

Today was my first day of actual teaching. I didn't have all my students yet, so we did some review of the book that comes before the book I will be teaching. I put it this way because it seems that there has been some movement of people up and down within the curriculum based on teacher availability (there are only two of us) and test scores. Some students were in higher books, and while their test scores were technically at that level, they were borderline, so the decision was made to move them down. I never really like having to make decisions based on reasons other than pedagogically sound ones, but this is the real world we are dealing with, and that is what needs to be done. I need to figure out a way to not live in the real world so I can be happy in my own nice, naive, little world.
 
I am still attempting to catch up on sleep. After class today, I went to my room  for something and I managed to fall asleep for a couple of hours. My body still doesn't know what time zone it is in or what is happening around here. The food is good, so I really can't complain about that! Actually I could, but only if I needed to find something to complain about. It is generally pretty much the same stuff all the time, and the dining facility I eat in is quite small, but it does the trick, and I really wouldn't want much bigger. Besides, if I went to the other side of base, I would be able to enjoy all the comforts of a large, impersonal dining facility with way too many places to attempt to choose from, lots of people I didn't know (who would not want to talk with me) and way too much noise and bustle for my fragile mind to take! And they say the grass is always greener!
 
I am part of a program called Thunderlab. It is an immersion program to teach English to Afghan military... I am really excited about the prospect of finally getting started and helping the students here move on to flight training. The students are all attempting to become pilots, so it they are quite motivated. We live on the same compound, which is a very unique thing here. It is a great set-up and sort of reminds me of when I was teaching at university summer camp in Korea where we lived in the same dorm as our students. They have classes at night with others (I am not sure how this works just yet), and we eat dinner, and sometimes breakfast) with them. They get a great deal of exposure to English during this time, and we are hoping that this will help increase their scores so they can meet the requirements sooner rather than later. 
 
My things that I mailed to myself from where I inprocessed are here. They have been at the post office here for a couple of days, unfortunately we were unable to pick them up on Saturday, it is closed on Sunday, and I have no idea if I am going to be able to get over there tomorrow to get my things. I would really like them because I wasn't really thinking when I packed everything, and I didn't leave everything I needed in my 72 hour bag. I can get by, but it is a pain. I also need to go buy sheets (they should hopefully have them at the Exchange). As I am living in a room with 3 other guys, I have little privacy, so I could use the sheets to make a barrier and provide myself some protection from that glass bowl feeling. Of course I am right by the door as well, so everytime it is opened I feel like the world can see me. Not a pleasant feeling by far. Soon, though, soon I will be able to have a little more privacy, and my life will be almost complete! Of course, I live in a room that has an actual roof, walls, and a floor! and the showers and toilets have actual doors! Compared to what I could have, this is like the Hilton!!! I am so grateful for having been placed at this location; there are so many positives! Of course, it is still outside of my comfort zone, but what isn't? It is going to be quite the 6 months - 1 year here... I hope to be able to take you along on the ride with me.. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope it goes well for you, Jason! I was just looking at my mom's photos of Speicher and thinking how I miss going to DFacs to eat... I was obsessed with the ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete