Saturday, April 7, 2012

A long day, and then one of complete rest!

Yesterday I did nothing! Yes, nothing. I was so tired that the thought of even getting out of bed was overexertion! When I did get up and leave the room, I ran into a couple of my students. Two seconds talking with them, and I was in the worst mood I have been in in years! I decided it would be safe to go back to bed! Of course that leaves laundry for tonight, but I am glad I did it nonetheless.

The previous day was a productive one, however. I helped to test and interview 3 Afghans for teaching positions here. This was quite the task! We had to walk down to the entrance of the base and wait for them to show their paperwork to gain entrance to the base. At this point 2 of the 5 who were supposed to be testing were stopped. One forgot his paperwork and the other one had paperwork where the picture was too old. Then we went through the process of collecting biometrics on them (fingerprints and retinal scans) and getting them visitor passes. After this process, we had to walk the 20 minutes back to the classroom to get them tested. We used this time to assess their oral English ability as well as get background information on them.

The test took about an hour - an hour and a half including instructions and such. The grading was pretty fast, but we didn't do that until later. After the test we walked them back out to the gate so they could leave. We may hire one of them, but we have to see what happens up the chain of command.

After all this, I was able to make my room into the living space it is today. I moved the now empty wall locker and large cubby-like monstrosity to my side of the room, flipped my bed so my gorilla boxes could fit underneath it and strung up my rain poncho to complete the wall. I now have my own private space that my roommates can't constantly peer into! All of this moving was exhausting, but the sense of accomplishment was overwhelming.. I think I should have just went to bed right after that.

Instead, I went to dinner and then sat down with the site lead to discuss the problem of lack of teachers with the probable incoming students. The Colonel is not very happy at the moment because he wants to bring down more students than we can accommodate. Fortunately, we (the site lead and I) may have been able to solve this problem... It seems I am becoming an assistant miracle worker and will take over the job of head miracle worker when he goes on R&R and then eventually goes home. What a position to step into!!

All in all I am alright. I felt really sore yesterday and today (to start). I think it may be due to dehydration, so I am upping my water intake to compensate. I wonder about it though because even in Iraq I seemed to suffer dehydration symptoms when I was drinking plenty of water. Maybe I am drinking too much and am getting hydration sickness. Wouldn't that just be like me? Have to do the opposite and cause problems whenever possible ;)  For now, I am off to meet up with the students for dinner. I hope it is something good! (The ice-cream bar is back at the DeFac at the American compound, but one has to take a bus to get there... maybe Wednesday I will have the opportunity to finally sample some wonderful, cold sweetness then!)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are adapting well. Drink water and be sure to rest!!!

    ReplyDelete