Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Culture Shock: Stage 2

I am down to eating one meal a day. I am just not very hungry, and this seems to serve my purposes well. I am also a tad irritable lately and seem to constantly be tired. These are all common side effects of the medicine I am taking to prevent malaria, but I really have no way of knowing if this is the cause or just a coincidence. I am thinking about stopping the medication to see if the symptoms go away as well.

There has been a lot going on around here, but it usually culminates in nothing. The head of the NATO forces here in Afghanistan was supposed to come visit, but weather was bad, so it was postponed indefinitely. The Afghan leadership did find their way here, however, so the students were able to air some of their grievances to them. Today we had a field trip to the flight line. The previous students of the program were finishing their solo flights and getting certificates, so it was a motivational thing for the students. They really enjoyed it, and it made it impossible to teach them in the afternoon!

I gave a book quiz to my class a couple of days ago. We have a rather small class, and the students must sit really close together. To discourage cheating, I used binders to set between them, and also a role of paper towel with one end wrapped around a water bottle making a little scroll. They were able to stare at the butterflies and dragonflies that decorated this scroll while they attempt to think about the answers to the questions. They mostly did well, so I guess it was an overall success.

Attempting to get anything accomplished around here is like pulling teeth. The military tends to look at us as more of a bother, even though they keep telling us how important what we are doing is. They seem to have brilliant ideas only to implement the exact opposite. I really am not sure just how much more of this I am going to be able to handle! It is going to be a mind game, but I am not on my best at the moment. If I am able to start to sleep and get back to normal, I can handle just about anything they throw at me.... here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment