Friday, April 27, 2012

Fridays can be great!

My day off has arrived! I have been wondering what to write for the past couple of days because I know how little people would be interested in what I really have to say. Most of my happenings are the mundane parts of life: going to the DFac, attempting to find something other than work to do, hanging out with the students, and thinking about what it really means to be "homesick". Last night, however, something of note did occur. We had a birthday party of sorts for one of the British mentors here. This actually involved me putting off my work and haging out with her and the students for the day. We sat around, drank tea, played cards, and watched activities of some of the other students. It was a great way to get to know some of the students a little better.
 
I am having a little difficulty with this actually. As their teacher I have to be cognizant of how my interactions with them outside the classroom will affect their behavior inside the classroom. When will I become seen as more of a friend then as a teacher? That line is not easy to see, and I flirt with it everyday just by not staying in my room and refusing to interact with them at all. Of course that would be a bad choice all the way around, which is why I have not made it, but each night is becoming more and more difficult.
 
I am now officially the acting site lead as the real one has gone on R&R. It is going to be a difficult task as we have a load of new students coming in today, the local hire teachers have come up to me to ask when they will be able to go home (only once a month), and if it would be possible to get them computer and phone privilages. I am not even sure who to ask about such things, but I am going to attempt to look into this. What a weird way to start my assignment! I hope this is not indicitive of what is yet to come.
 
I was up until 2 - 2;30am last night and still woke up at 5:30 this morning! I am sitting in the office getting more work done... The start of my administrative duties have officially began, and I really do think it will be a wonderful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment