Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Taking a step back

I have told you about the backtracking I have been told to do, as well as my first attempt to mail my belongings off to where I will eventually be going to. I did not, however, fill you in on the process of getting away from the place I was required to in-process at (where I spent one day as opposed to the two I was told I would need to be there for) and to the place I am presently stuck in. It also turns out that my backtracking has taken a new twist, though more on that in a moment.

As one is not usually able to recount information with any real emotional content all at once, I had left out part of the story I am sure most of you are just dying to here, even if you don't know it yet. On Sunday, as I am sure you remember, I had a slight issue at the post office. This is what happens when one is forced to travel in a manner outside their comfort zone while already outside their comfort zone...it can cause brief bouts of insanity :)  Having overcome that bit of delirium, I returned early the next day at the bequest of my supervisor. He assured me that the post office opened early, so going into the office and packing all the rest of my things into the second gorilla box at 6:30 in the morning was a logical thing to do. Around 8:30am, I went over to check if the post office was indeed open. It turned out that it didn't open until 9am, though this time I was smart enough not to take my things with me!

Around ten until nine, I took one box over (taking two would have been way too cumbersome) and got into the already forming line. As the time drew nearer, someone came out of the post office and told us that it would be some time before it would open as there had been a theft the previous evening and they needed time to process the scene and take statements and pictures and such. From the time the post office opened until I was able to have my first Gorillabox footlocker sent just over an hour had passed! This did not really concern me until I returned to the office where my boss asked me "are you almost finished? It took you over an hour to get that done. You need to make sure you are done in time to meet with the Colonel and then to convoy out of here." There was no way to guarantee this, but I told him I would do my best.

Off again I went to the post office with my second Gorilla box. I stood in line for about half an hour this time and was able to get finished just in time for my meeting. Thankfully things went smoothly after that. I have since convoyed over and am waiting to catch a plane out. I was first told that I was to go to one place, but then I received an email telling me not to go there, but to go to some other place first as there is more of a chance to get to my final destination from there. So,  I had to return to the passenger (PAX) terminal to change the desired destination.

I managed to get wait listed on a flight. When I went to check in for the flight, however, it was no longer on the list. It seemed that it had been postponed. All in all, the flight was delayed five or six times. I am not sure if it was able to get out the last time as I decided I was tired and needed to sleep. I went down today to see when one would be leaving today, and the two flights listed are full. I should still go and see if someone decides not to show up, but the chances are slim. It appears that the next best time for me is in the morning! One more day here waiting to get out; eating food fixed more toward a British palate; thankfully sleeping in the permanent billeting. Eventually I will get there, I am almost positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment