Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rain on the horizon

As I look just off to the north, I see dark clouds and lightening. Directly above us and in the distance, it is a totally clear, star-filled sky. I am not really sure what to expect, Which seems to be indicative of everything here in Afghanistan. There were a couple of security issues today, but nothing came of them. My students can't help but ask the same questions over and over; the idea of actually listening to what is going on seems quite foreign to them! One is like a child and needs constant attention. And the frustration reigns!

I lost my phone today. I looked all over for it. I checked my desk in the office; I checked my classroom; I checked my living quarters; I checked my pockets. I asked around and just decided to give it up for the night and look again in the morning. It was quite upsetting as I know that if I lose it, I will end up paying $100 for a $20 phone! As I started relaxing, I looked in my pockets yet again, though this time for something completely different. Lo and behold! There was that elusive phone. It was sitting there as calm and innocent as could be, as if it had always been there and I was too stupid to come across it the first two or three times I actually looked there. At least I was able to find it, even if the phone will be able to laugh at me for years to come.

The meals seem to be getting worse. There was almost nothing to eat for dinner. My roommate has been receiving many care packages from the US, and he has put a lot of the sweets that people have sent him into the office. This is not very good for me because it means I have easy access to them, and I tend to snack on the Twizzlers and Gummi Bears. There is even popcorn there as well, but I haven't sampled that yet.

I think I need to start carrying my camera around so I can take some photos and post them. People keep telling me they want to see some pictures. Who knows. I guess we shall see if it actually happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment