Thursday, May 16, 2013

Water Taxis

Yesterday I managed to finally meet up with my friend and her family. Being the introvert that I am, I was a bit out of my element, especially since she wasn't too forthright in telling me who all the people were! Still, when she called and asked if I wanted to go to the beach with her and "her mother's family," I gladly said yes.

When she said "go to the beach" I was not anticipating getting into a boat and traveling out into the ocean to an island where we would eat at a medium priced restaurant. These water taxis are your normal small boats with a motor at the back that I would have road in to go fishing in the lake when I was younger. The trip over was relatively calm and smooth.

The island also presented no problem until the check came. The family did not want to pay the tip, and my friend was visibly upset by the discussion that was taking place. I just took deep breaths and tried to stay out of the way. I had no idea what was going on most of the time, and I think perhaps at this point, it was probably better that way.

The trip back was a nightmare! The boat, which appeared to be the same one, didn't seem to handle all the people quite as well as it did on the way over. It tilted to one side and was definitely back heavy as well. Every wave felt as if it would turn the boat over, and it was a bit rough that evening, so there were a lot of them. I was extremely thankful to make it back to shore again. All in all, a great day, but I don't think I will want to do it again anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment