Sunday, May 5, 2013

From Puerto Vallarta to Honolulu!

The day started very early, about 4am! I wasn't really ready for breakfast after only about 2 hours of sleep, but I had a couple of bananas, gathered my things and walked out the door! While not entirely sure, I had read somewhere that the buses didn't start running until 5:00am. That would be just about the right time, but I had to make sure to keep an eye out for taxis as well, just in case!

I started walking and waiting; I find it much easier to wait while I am doing something... something like walking..absolutely strange, I know, but such is life. As  I was going, I noticed just how easy it would be to get a taxi: they were absolutely everywhere! Armed with the knowledge of approximate price, I hailed one... and then another, and then another. The third or fourth one finally stopped! He wanted to charge me 100 pesos which is a full 20 pesos more than I was told it should cost (on the high end). So, I refused and kept walking. A few minutes later, the same taxi stopped and offered to take me for 'only' 80 pesos. Of course I accepted. When we finally arrived, I payed him 90 pesos. I wasn't going to, but it was the easiest thing to do.

No one was working yet, so I could relax a bit before I checked in. The flight itself was wonderful. The seats had individual screens with USB charging ports. They were comfortable, and the flight was not very long. I was flying from Puerto Vallarta to Mexico City where I would transfer for a flight to Los Angeles. This particular plane was going to continue on to New York City after the stop-over; I almost decided just to continue on to New York along with it!

The flight went smoothly, and just as we touched down, my overhead bin, out of extreme courtesy decides to open for me. Perhaps this wasn't such a good thing, but it seemed helpful at the time! It made up for the rather odd treatment at the priority screening line in Los Angeles. They sent me through the regular line right after allowing another to go through the priority line. Normally this wouldn't have bothered me, and it really didn't this time either, but the airport is really poorly set up. I flew into Terminal 2 from Mexico City, but I had to leave from Terminal 5. I didn't know at first, but there is no way to get there short of exiting Terminal 2 and walking around the outside of the airport until one arrives to Terminal 5. It seemed to take forever, and I had a very limited time after having spent a half an hour going through customs and immigration (which is currently another bone of contention with me).  I did make it, however, and I got to fly 1st class from both Mexico and Los Angeles!

No comments:

Post a Comment