Sunday, May 10, 2009

Globalization (with a twist?)

You know you are experiencing globalization when you are sitting in a Lebanese restaurant listening to Kenny Rogers in Kurdistan, Iraq while speaking to a Lebanese-Albanian who speaks 5 languages about his cousin's experiences in Russia and Ukraine. This just happens to be what I was doing yesterday afternoon, though I have once again gotten ahead of myself (and they said I was prone to losing my head).

Let us go back to the beginning. I awoke as usual, had my morning cup of coffee and watermelon (shifty if you will), and chatted with my sanity keeper from the states. I went to work where I had to teach the Agricultural engineers. It seems that I need to start writing everything down as I forgot that I needed to tell them there is a test on Wednesday, and on Monday the other teacher would be coming in to show them a short documentary. I am sure they will be quite upset with me about that. At least I didn't have to do a retake test for the university students.

I finally was able to reconnect with a former professor and get information about such things as lesson plan ideas and publishing articles and such. The dean returned, and we talked about what is going to be happening and the changes that are going to be made as well.

It seems that starting next Saturday, they are finally going to train us to use the company's system in the classroom. Imagine working at a company for almost two months and only now learning how things are supposed to be done. Imagine my surprise when the dean told us that the head office informed him that we were not doing things the company way! Not being trained probably goes a long way toward explaining that one :P

In the evening, I went out to a local coffee shop and had what they call a milkshake (actually just whipped milk). I had the cinnamon flavor which was actually pretty good. I didn't get home until about midnight, but couldn't sleep all night...now I am tired and I have to teach today!! AHHHHHHH..I want to sleep...Oh well. I am sure it will be exciting nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. It must be exciting - you mentioned watermelon in your post :D

    ReplyDelete