Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Another interesting day

I once again went to the PPP school, and once again the students all found it very interesting and inspirational. We didn't have as much time to observe as there was a lot more talking going on, but this was not a totally bad thing, even with much of it happening in Kurdish. One of the lower level students who almost never says anything beyond superficials, even in Kurdish (as much as she likes to talk), asked some of the best questions. She attempted a couple of them in English, but her confidence isn't quite there yet. Even so, I was extremely happy and proud to hear the questions and the answers and the discussion that followed. The answers were given in English and Kurdish so that the dean and I could understand as well.

Earlier that same day, on the way to the university, we were driving along and the driver and the coordinator for the school started arguing in the front seat. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the van stops, the driver turns it off and gets out, tells his daughter to get out, and they start walking. The coordinator drove the rest of the way to school. (Even walking the driver and his daughter arrived just before we did). It is sad to see this happen, though. I really liked the driver even though it was tough to communicate. Perhaps this is something that will just blow over, though I doubt it. I just hope this doesn't mean that his daughter will no longer be coming to the school.

I got paid! I am not sure when they get the money to pay people, but, while payday is supposed to be the last day of the month, we were still able to get it a little early. This means that I was able to send my money home and have it taken care of. Of course I also found out that while my company pays for the hospital (bad health care), the tests, and that sort of thing, they do not pay for doctors; even if it is to read the results of the tests. I am not sure what the reasoning is behind that, but I guess I am now required to pay the $75 for the doctor's fee. I need to get an invoice for it though as I am curious as to why it is so much.

There was supposed to be quiz night, but they decided to cancel it so people could train for the upcoming sports tournament. Of course I don't think I am going to do any of the sports, but I am sure the others will have fun nonetheless. The problem was that I was really looking forward to quiz night, and I was even asked earlier in the day if I was going. This seemed to suggest that there was going to be a quiz night. Then I got home. Upon arriving back home from Western Union, my housemate who also goes to trivia night, was on his way to the same place to train. I saw the way he was dressed and asked what was going on. It was then that I was told that the trivia night had been canceled. It seems that everyone else knew, except for me and the other teacher. Apparantly even the dean knew as he came up to us, dressed in running clothes, and said hello. He was supposed to go to trivia night as well. Why is it that I always seem to be out of the loop, even when it is concerning things that deal with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment