Thursday, March 22, 2012

A LONG Long day of travel!!

As you know, I started my first leg of international travel in Baltimore. I started out about 5ish or so, and I haven't been to sleep yet! (It is currently almost 7pm right now). My computer says it is still Thursday; I left on Wednesday. I don't think the days really exist like they used to!

I flew first into Germany where I had a layover, then onto another airport with another layover, and then to my present location of Manas Air Base in Kyrgyzstan. I am still not sure how long I going to be here for, but as I am officially a transient just passing through, I get to stay in a huge tent with 30 - 40 other men. Not my idea of a good time, but I guess it beats sleeping outside, or not sleeping at all... though it seems like that is going to be the case anyway. I will be so glad to finally get to Afghanistan!

The flights were not as bad as I had been led to believe. I got 2 meals on each flight, watched a few movies I probably would never have otherwise (Footloose; Crazy, Stupid, Love; etc). The food, while not great, was decent. They had a lot of chicken, and they kept the galley open for people who wanted to come back and take soda, water, juice, cookies, or anything like that from the cart. The plane wasn't full, so no one was in the middle seat. I was comfortable, well fed, and entertained. Unfortunately, I was still unable to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment