Sunday, March 25, 2012

On the move once again!

I have been having a difficult time with the whole posting thing as the internet would not allow me to do so. I am once again attempting to update you on what is happening with me these days. I spent only one night in Manas, though I was told it would be a long time. I think I was able to expedite the process by making them question my existence. I am not sure exactly what happened, but I was on one of their lists, but I was not manifested anywhere. I told them where I was trying to go, and they put me on a plane with a company of Army personnel; a strange adventure indeed.

I arrived to my next destination. I was sure I was going to spend the night here as I was told this was to be the case. As it turns out, however, I was able to just catch a flight from there to the airport of my final destination. Of course, the flight show time was about 20 minutes after the arrival of the first, and I had to get my luggage and such. Thankfully they were able to take their time (not quite sure it was on purpose) so that I was able to make it with a couple of companions I met in Manas.

When I got to the airport of my new location, I once again had to spend the night. Spending the night in tents is becoming a very interesting and common occurrence. In Manas, there were about 150 or so others in the tent. In the next location, I was fortunate that it was down to about 20, which is also the number in the room I am currently in. To get to where I am now, I had to convoy through the city.... somewhat of a dangerous prospect that took much longer than it probably should have.

Today I spent my time in-processing and repacking things so I could send them via mail to my next destination. I will have to convoy back to the airport, and then see if I can catch a plane sometime within the next 3 days... not really a prospect I look forward to! All of this lack of sleep and traveling has caused me a great deal of frustration. When I went to send my first box, the post office was closed. This should be of no surprise as it is Sunday, but this is not something that is easily remembered when you have been traveling for sometime. I was so frustrated that I decided it would be a good idea to just throw my footlocker into one of the large, green, metal garbage bins. It had recently been emptied, so all that was inside was the muddy water from the rain that had been coming all day.

After having hoisted it into the bin (surprising that I could even lift it!), I started to walk back to the office. A major who had witnessed the incident asked me why I had done that, and I told her that having stuff caused too many problems. She told me that I should at least put a note out that I have a Gorilla Box for someone to have. Of course, she was right; one doesn't generally become a major and not know something.

After 5 minutes or so, I returned to the bin to somehow collect my footlocker. I had to actually climb inside in order to get to it. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to accomplish this mission as it was very slippery due to the water that had collected on the surface of the green, metal bin. Fortunately, the major had apparently made a comment to another major about seeing me as this new major came looking for the box. He helped me to retrieve it and be on my way back to the office, gorilla box in tow. I guess sometimes you have to do something just a little stupid to relieve the frustrations that arise in this rather odd life.

A little later I went to my bunk to take a nap. I slept for maybe an hour or so and got up to see if I could find where they have computers connected to the internet that I could use. During my search, I found the Green Beans (coffee shop) and a big tent in which there were chairs and a band practicing praise songs. I went to get some coffee and then came over to participate in the service I didn't even know what going to happen. It was odd seeing a number of weapons at the service, as well as carrying my own, but it seemed oddly (or not so oddly) appropriate. I also stood next to a general during the service. When asked who was there for the first time, he introduced himself by first and last name, but never mentioned his rank. I thought this was an interesting decision on his part, though I am not sure what his rationale behind it was as everyone else made sure to include their rank in their introduction.

Even during the passing of the peace, it was very much a military environment. They would shake hands and formally say  "sir" or "ma'am".. It was not really a surprise, but it was interesting to note. So many different things going through my mind about this and all things related to it!

I was able to talk with the Chaplain (Navy) afterward. He told me about some of his past assignments and how he came to be a Navy chaplain at all. Very interesting stories to hear! Then I walked out with the supervisor of the language programs here (my boss's boss). We had a short friendly discussion before I went back to my bunk to unsuccessfully attempt to get some sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment