Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dee Plane, Dee Plane (Ride)

Believe it or not, there is a nonstop flight from San Antonio, Texas to Baltimore, Maryland on Southwest Airlines no less! Such an efficient airline when it comes boarding, though a little strange for those who have a desire to have an actual assigned seat as oppose to a numbered place in line.

As I was in the B group, I found a spot near the back where there were few people sitting and plenty of overhead space. I had quite the large bag this time around and was almost unable to place it into the bin myself. I achieved this difficult task and sat down next to the window, a place I normally do everything to avoid, to wait for those who were going to join me on this 3ish hour flight (does this ring any bells???)

 A slightly older man comes along and sits in the aisle seat and places a legal pad on the middle seat. I was not sure if he was attempting to save the seat, or if he was just being weird. As I was pondering this rather mundane question, I noticed a young woman standing a little forward in the plane. It was obvious that this middle seat was the first that was open to her. I found myself looking at the remaining people wondering which ones would attempt to assault people for this seat next to me (and no, not because it was next to me.) I found myself thinking that I would like to have her be the one to sit beside me because she looked a little more comfortable. Much to my surprise, she actually sat next to me!

Normally when I fly, it is a nerve wracking flow of adrenaline constantly pumping through my veins until I arrive wherever it is I am trying to arrive to; this time it was different! I told her good afternoon, she responded, and from there it just kept going! We discussed each others families, my job and my travels, and her travels and education. We kept talking the whole three hour flight! I felt I was getting reacquainted with an old friend I hadn't seen in a while. When we finally were forced to part ways because she was on her way home to Massachusetts, and I was going to the baggage claim, we separated with a hug.

Normally I do not engage with strangers on the plane other than to find out the time or something similar. This time I opened my mouth for reasons I cannot begin to fathom, and I had a wonderful time! Things do seem to have a way of getting done, don't they?

3 comments:

  1. Being open to new experiences pays off:) Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Southwest Airlines. They are hands-down my favorite airline to fly. And I'm so glad you had such a great flight. Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete