Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Teaching again

I finally got my chance to teach yesterday, and I was not extremely happy with my first class. The students were unwilling to answer any questions and didn't like my accent. Of course, they are used to the South African accent, and the dean did come by and sort of take over the class. He has such an outgoing and loud personality that it is hard for him not to do so. This morning is not going to be any better because I will be teaching in my place as I have to go get my blood tests done (though they should have been done yesterday).

The second class was amazing though. They were friendly, happy, engaged, and very excited about my accent and my teaching them. After class, some of them came up and commented to me about how excited they are and how friendly I seemed. It was nice to hear.

The third class is the same as the second (there are only two groups at the moment). It was better than in the morning, but it still left a little to be desired. Most of this was my fault, but it is really tough to help someone review for a test when you really don't know what they had focused on before. And the other teacher wanted me to help make the test as well. It was a little uncomfortable for me to do that.

Hopefully when we finally start the regular book at the beginning of April, it will be a little easier and more comfortable. The students and I will be a little more acclimated to each other, and I will not have the feeling that I am being unfair to them in what I am going over. I do have to figure out my own style of teaching reading and dictations and things, though. Most of my teaching has been conversational in focus, and this is more academic. It really makes a huge difference.

I know I don't like the other teacher's style; she tends to just follow the book and do everything in it. It works, but it has never really bean what I did, even in my courses at Hawaii Pacific University (HPU). I guess that means that I at least know one style that isn't mine :)

Well, here's to hoping that I find my way very quickly, and that the students from both groups are able to really improve during my time here. 60% is the passing mark, and many in the first group are well below that at the moment. They did, however, go from around 20% at the beginning to 40% now. It is definitely a step in the right direction. (I just can't help but wonder if we are going to have to teach basic math skills as well. Their previous education didn't prepare them well with such skills in their native language let alone in English. We shall see what the powers that be decide.)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like your first class was a bit high and mighty with themselves :O. well, there are people like that everywhere, you are different and they dont understand. How old are these students about anyway?

    Eldon Rice II

    ReplyDelete
  2. The students are mostly around 18-20, though there are some older ones too. They are getting better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, let me know if you need anything or any ideas.... I'm used to high and mighty students round here in the white wasteland (ie my school in SC).

    ReplyDelete