Friday, March 20, 2009

The Outsider

I was wondering when it would happen, as it always does, that feeling of being completely lost while with a group of people. My roommates asked I wanted to go with them to a new clothing store that had just opened. I decided that since I had nothing better to do, I may as well go. When we arrived, the place was way too full, so we only stayed a couple of minutes.

I was expecting to return to home, but instead we went the half hour drive to the primary school where the school faculty live as well. Two of the math teachers, a married couple from Lebanon, had just returned today, and they had items they had purchased for my roommates. My roommates knew that we were going to be going there, but neglected to mention this to me before we left. In fact, the person said "we are only going to the new clothing store..." I think they deliberately didn't tell me because they didn't want me to say no.

Almost the whole time we were there, the conversation was in Arabic (with frequent French and occasional Italian words thrown in as well). I listened to the multiple conversations that were going on around me, which grew when another Lebanese girl who just came back decided to visit as well. To further complicate the issue, I was also trying to watch the Middle Eastern Talent Stars (or something like that), which was also in Arabic!! My mind was just reeling with all of the nonunderstood input.

The single woman who came for a visit had just lost her grandmother. Because of this she produced a rose flavored roll and handed it to one of my roommates. We were each to take a piece, eat it, and pass the roll on to another person who was to do the same. The idea is that you eat something and pray that God will take good care of the soul of the one who has just died. It is interesting the amount of traditions and rituals involve food; it is such an important part of social and religious life as well as providing us with the basic need of fuel. Perhaps this is why I have always had such a hard time eating with large numbers of people, especially if I do not know them. I guess that is something to thing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment