Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Finally here!

I am finally at my destination: Erbil, Iraq!! The trip was a long one. All told, including the drive time to the Detroit airport and the waiting at the transfer airports of Amsterdam and Dubai, and then the short 15 minute or so trip from the airport to my new home in Erbil, it took around 40 hours!!!! I was not keen on having to leave the evening after they told me when I would be leaving, but I guess it may have been the best way; I didn't have the chance to second guess myself this way.

In Detroit as I was standing in line to board, the woman in front of me turns around as says in a tone that could have been either a question or an accusation, "You went to HPU!" I was stupefied and was only able to nod my head and utter a single syllable, "yea." She continued, "I was wondering ever since I first saw you. Do I know him from Detroit? or maybe from Hawaii? That is when I remembered. I always saw you around campus with your hat." I knew that the hat was a good way to help people remember you, though I am not sure if that remembrance is a good or bad thing :)

The airport at Dubai is gorgeous, at least it was upon arrival at Terminal 1. It exoplored a little to figure out how to get to the departure gate as I was only here to switch flights. I hate having to go through customs and passport control only to pick up luggage and check back into the airport to leave; it seems like such a waste of time (though I had plenty of time to do it). I crossed the street and found an elevator that would take me to the correct level. I took the elevator, walked back across the street, found I had to walk down another 500 feet to the entrance, and stepped inside to look for the correct airline counter. As I was looking, a worker asked if he could help. I told him where I needed to go, and he told me that I needed to take a cab to terminal 2. I asked him exactly where it was, and he said that there was no way to get there on foot; it would require a taxi. I had no money, so I decided that I would try to walk it anyway. As I was walking (with my backpack and two pieces of luggage...I didn't even attempt to pack light this time) a taxi, with a passenger, pulled up and asked where I was going. I told him the information along with the fact that I had no money. He spoke with his passenger (a man from Canada) and told me to get in. So, I was taken the 10 km from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 for free!! I love the hospitality of people sometimes. I only hope I am able to repay others with the same hospitality in the future.

In the morning, while waiting for the plane to Erbil, I met a man who was raised in Erbil but now lives in Colorado. He is going to try to set up an auto dealership here to sell American cars. He gave me some advice about the culture and his email address, so I could contact him while I am here.

In Erbil, I made it through passport control (10 day visa during which time I have to contact the residence office), collected my baggage, and went to see if anyone was waiting for me. I saw no one (at least for me)! I stood there wondering what to do next. I saw people getting on a bus. I noticed that nobody paid as they got on and didn't seem to even as the first bus pulled away, so I went down and boarded the second one. I looked around and hoped I was doing the right thing. The bus pulled out, drove for probably 5 minutes, and stopped at the entrance to the airport where all these cars were parked. I exited the bus amidst the rest of the passengers. After I was on the ground and safely separated from the group, a man approached me and asked if I was Jason. I have never been so relieved in my entire life, at least not since I started this trip!

The driver took me to where I would be staying, helped out my luggage away, and then took me next door to meet with the university teacher coordinator, a man from South Africa whom arrived here approximately 2 months ago. We chatted for a little while, and he invited me out to dinner with him, the person I have been talking to from HR, and some others. They would be leaving in 3 or 4 hours. I went back to the apartment to get ready; I was excited about going.

Then it happened! I get to the apartment and find light switches for everything; many for nothing as far as I can tell. I want a shower, so I find the bathroom. On closer inspection, I find the toilet is not hooked up and the shower looks like what you would find in a public gym though there is only one shower head. (The toilet and shower are in separate rooms which are separate from the main room of the bathroom...) I try the water and discover it is ice cold with no signs of warming. Frustrated, I decide to try and rest. When they came to get me for dinner, I decided not to go (stupid!!) and continued resting instead. I awoke at 4am and decided to try the shower again...same thing.

I fixed myself a cup of instant coffee (water coolers that give hot water as well are so useful) and boiled some water in a pot. I used that water to wash up as I was not in the mood to take a cold shower (I hope they get the hot water up in running or at least tell me if there ever is any). I discovered that the toilet is now hooked up (though the floor surrounding it is a pond). I also found a cat-5 cable and hooked my laptop to the rouder as my wireless isn't working at the moment.

Ever since then I have been reading emails and typing information. I will meet up with people sometime today, my housemates will be back from their trip out of town so I will be able to meet them, and my dresser will be fixed so that I can use it. That is a lot to hope for, but I am confident that it will happen (eventually anyway).

3 comments:

  1. Jason,

    Just when Americans ought to be getting out of Iraq. What are you thinking?

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erbil is safe, and I thought it would be interesting to see how things are here in the mideast. I just needed to come here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey you,
    i would be interested in learning more about the advise the person from erbil gave you regarding the culture.

    smile

    ReplyDelete