Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Off with the hair!

Well, today was a lot better than yesterday. First of all, the sleep was extremely helpful in the thinking department. I visited with Francois, the Dean of the College from South Africa. Around 8ish, the driver came and picked me up to go get breakfast and a hair cut. Nothing was open, so we went to Francois' apartment. He gave me some cornflakes and went to get ready.

We all went out to the college to see how it was set up. I was not overly impressed with the facilities, but at least they have rooms. We may actually have books when it is time to start teaching on the 23rd. It is the students' break between semesters. We shall see how that turns out then.

We then came home, rested, went out to lunch, and then had the driver come back and take us out again. We wanted to visit the citadel, but the driver didn't understand, so we ended up at the bazaar instead. It wasn't great given that I really don't like shopping, but it was interesting to see nonetheless.

We got back around 6pm, met my housemates, stood around and talked for awhile before going out to dinner at around 7pm. On the way home, we stopped off at the barbershop. I asked how much it cost, and he replied, "As you like...5, 10." This didn't seem very concrete, so I asked "which is it 5 or 10?" "What you like. 5 ok, 10 ok." I decided to let him cut my hair.

I was very impressed with his work. He handled the hair quite well, and it turned out nice as well. Now all these people will be happy with me finally. Such an odd thing to get all worked up about. Now I have short hair, and will be going out for a drive with a bunch of people tomorrow morning around 745am. Hopefully the water is hot tomorrow. My housemates explained that there were problems in the past with this, but they were solved for the past month; now they are back again. It was good tonight, so time will tell about tomorrow. More then, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. now this is something that I would love to have a picture of. When was the last time I saw you with short hair? You was 7 maybe lol. Loved your stories just read them all been busy. Eveyone here sends their love. love mayer clan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is great! What an adventure! And I can't believe you cut your hair! I'm sure you look very handsome. Pictures?

    You know, you're pretty luck you have running water at all! I've been showering using a bucket and a cup for the past five months. Actually, though, because Ghana is warm and the water is not icy cold, it's not so bad. Still, I look forward to the day I can take a hot shower again with running water.

    Keep writing, Jason! I can't wait to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete