Sunday, March 22, 2009

A long sleep!

It is morning. It seems to have come so fast, but I do feel rested for the first time since I have been here. I woke up about 5am. This may seem like a relatively early time, but considering I went to sleep no later than 7pm last night, I would say it was just perfect.

So what made me sleep for so long last night? Did something happen yesterday to bring this on. Yesterday seemed like the same type of day to me: no teaching work (though Francois and I did discuss how to run the classes a little), going out to eat, coming back, talking some more and then falling into the deep sleep that is usually reserved for the people of Disney films.

The outing yesterday was a good one though. We went to a restaurant called Happy Times. We had a Happy Times pizza (assorted meats and vegetables including cucumbers and peppers), and apple juice which was actually apples that had been put through a blender; it even had red flakes from the skin! As we began eating, another customer finished his meal and came and talked with us. He was from El Salvador but currently lives in the US. It is so interesting the people you meet in random places like small restaurants.

After leaving the restaurant we stopped by a small fruit stand (minus the stand part) so Francois could purchase some tomatoes. He put the three tomatoes that he wanted onto the scales. The seller then added more tomatoes and took his money. Then we went by a p;lace that made bread. There was a line in front of the window, so I thought we were going to have to wait. However, a man came up and asked us what we wanted. We asked for 6. "6,000?" "No, 6 bread," we replied. They put 6 pieces of the thick, triangular bread into a bag. When he gave it to us, he indicated that we didn't have to pay. We tried to, but he wouldn't take it.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years it is that if you want to know the price of something, and you think that just asking the seller is either too easy or too hard, depending on the circumstances, you can go shopping with someone else who is buying what you eventually want. This time, however, it didn't work that way. I did, however, learn that they apparently buy this bread by cost and not by number of pieces. At least that is something.

1 comment:

  1. Be sure to get plenty of sleep, I know the troubles of not enough sleep, and also too much sleep :O. always tired I am it seems. arent you the lucky one :O hehe.

    Eldon Rice II

    ReplyDelete