Thursday, October 25, 2012

Off to Kabul

It has been seven months without a respite. I have been confined in a prison like environment eating, sleeping, and working with the same people day after day with no end in sight and no possible chance to get away! All I would ask for is a weekend jaunt to the mountains, a day trip to the beach, a nice walk through the meadow; anything that would be a change of pace for just a little while. Then it happened!

My supervisor in Kabul decided that since all of the students around the country would be going home to their families to enjoy and celebrate the Eid holiday, that all the English Language Teachers (ELTs) around the country could come to Kabul for a bit of professional development. I nearly jumped for joy (internally) upon hearing this. I am always up for professional development, but I was even more up for the possibility of going somewhere else.

There were a few problems that led me to believe I may be severely disappointed, but finally we were confirmed on a direct flight in a small plane owned by the Afghan Air Force but piloted by US pilots. An eight seat plane with no pressure cruising along at 11,500 feet. The peppermint gum gave relief to the ears, the stomach, and the taste buds! As there was no inflight entertainment nor services, I decided to spend my time looking at the desert landscape below. What I thought would be boring and monotonous presently surprised me!

I looked out upon the desert expecting to see the sandy brown I have become so accustomed to seeing on the ground. What appeared instead was a rich array of reds, oranges, and greens. It was as if the sand new that while there were no trees, we would still enjoy the changing colors of autumn. The landscape was a masterpiece created by one of those who uses colored sand to make pictures. In addition to the sand, when there were towns/cities, one could see the different colors of the houses as well. There were lots of yellows and purples.

And now I am here. Grateful to have finally gone somewhere; lucky to have run into someone I know and have lunch together; and a little tired from having the ability to just kick back for a time. Perhaps I will get a coffee and the Greek Coffee Shop! I love the international atmosphere of the base here in Kabul!

No comments:

Post a Comment