Sunday, October 21, 2012

Burn up; burn out!

There it is. The idea that everything is 100% safe is no longer the case! Of course, I never really believed that anyway, but somehow people wanted me to. I still feel safer here than I would in any major city in the US where if you don't know what part of town you are in, or where it is safe to go, you could easily get yourself killed! While all the coalition forces have weapons, and even the Afghans outside our compound have weapons, the feel of the place is one of safty and concern; they haven't let their guard down, but they aren't being overly hyper about things either.

Unfortunately, no matter where one is accidents do occur. In this instance, we had a cargo plane crash. The accident was handled tremendously well, and no one was hurt (at least seriously... I am sure there were minor injuries, but those weren't reported). The major casualty of this accident was moral! Apparently, this plane was carrying much desired mail for those working and living so far from home. There were apparently even pictures of one guy's boxes, what was left of them anyway. I can only hope that while I have been waiting for a number of official letters as well as a box, that those were not among the wreckage.

That possibility, however, brings me to the matter of burn out! It is definitely accumulative, and it has been accumulating. I feel it worst when I am not actually teaching, so perhaps a 7 day work week would be better for me at the moment! Not being in a position to actually travel somewhere is apparently not the best for me. I need the ability to move around and do things. I need the ability to get away from the people I am working with on occasion, to be able to guiltlessly escape to my room and find myself wherever my latest book takes me.

So, knowing that I am out of here in March, I am trying to plan my future. I am really beginning to think that I should take some time off. I have been given this suggestion by a couple of different people who have been through such times, and they stress the goodness that can come from regaining one's equilibrium after such postings. I have a feeling they are right. I have to go through my budget and see how long I can last without an income, and then be prepared to get a job soon after that time (if not before).

I think a bit of housesittng, if possible, during that time would be great as well as visits to various people I haven't seen in a long time. I guess I could make a list and plan things out.... but planning has never been a strong point of mine..can I plan out relaxation time without getting myself stressed out over it? Perhaps there is a study in here somewhere ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yay - good news that you're considering some restorative time! Maybe sign up now on a couple of house-sitting websites and then you can peruse what's available and choose something that suits your time frame. Here's a couple: and , both of which I've used. Just to keep your options open:)

    All fingers and toes crossed that you get your mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently it doesn't like weblinks or something! If you could send the sites to my regular email, that could help... as for the mail.. well, they have halted all mail service for the time being. Grrrr!!

    ReplyDelete