Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving review

Now that it is the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I think I may have digested things enough to be able to finally write about them. The meal, while taking place in large hall with more than 500 people, was actually quite good. I sat with two other teachers and the military staff here: 2 US Air Force personnel and 2 British Royal Air Force officers.
The smorgasbord they served consisted of turkey and some large cut of beaf which was carved in front of each person who chose one of these main dishes. We also had the options of honey glazed ham, baked lobster tails, green bean casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, baked mac & cheese, glazed sweet potatoes, collard greens, cornbread dressing, corn on the cob, gravey, rolls, carrot cake, peach cobbler, and various cakes and pies. They also offered egg nog and ice cream. No, I didn't take everything, and yes, I was soooo fulll!
After our managing to scarf down our fill of food and comiserate about not being able to be home with family, we came back to the office and generally passed out. We accomplised nothing for the rest of the day. Then it was back to business as usual on Saturday and today. The students are really worried about the upcoming test and are really focusing on grammar. For some reason they have decidedd that of all the teachers, I am the one to ask. I am not sure how I managed to be voted this dubious honor, but I do my best to live up to their expectations while making sure they are the ones that come up with the ideas as much as possible. It is such a thin line to walk!
I am loooking forward to my trip out of here! It should be coming up soon! I like the people, I even like the area, but spending more than six months without time away is enough to make me crazy!!! I am also looking toward March when I will be leaving here. What will I do next? Where will I go? Where will I work? I have pretty much mapped out my April - first part of June, but it gets a bit fuzzy after that. I have applied many places, both in and out of the country, so I guess I just have to wait and see what happens! GRRRR......

2 comments: