Monday, October 17, 2011

There and back again! ;)

Yet another long journey has been made by this unsuspecting wanderer. I went back to Denver, Colorado last week for the residential portion of my current classes. This is quite the trip from Seoul, but it wasn't too bad. Sure, I was a little tired for the first day or so (that seems to happen when you don't sleep for a couple of days), but getting to see everyone there was well worth it!

After a week of classes, a rather light schedule comparatively speaking, and a trip back to Korea, I found myself in a hotel in Inchon near the airport. I stayed out of the city because I needed the quiet, the sleep, and the place to keep my luggage! I had found a place to move into after returning to Korea, but it would not be available until the following day. Then I find out that it will not be available until the afternoon of the following day (i.e. today)!! This meant that I would have no place to put my luggage while I went to class, so I decided that I would just go to the airport and wait there until I could go move in.


While I was waiting and trying to study my Korean, a person approached me and told me that they needed more foreigners for the shooting they were doing at the airport. So, I agreed to be an extra in this Korean drama! So, most of the morning I spend rolling my luggage to and from the doors leading to the customs area of Seoul International Airport while they shot an airport scene...This is another reason I like to pack light! I didn't this time and rolling that stupid thing around all morning was exhausting! Surprisingly there were 4 or 5 Russians working with them as well. One was a student at my university doing her Masters in Political Science and Korean. As she put it "I am a Russian studying political science at a Korean university in English, which I have to translate." It sounds like her life is quite similar to my own. I never did get her number, but she lives in this same area as me, so maybe I will run into her again sometime. The person who hired me to be an extra took my phone number and said he would call me again if something came up where they could use me! Now that would be AWESOME!

I left a little early ($30 richer) arriving at the designated meeting place at the designated time. I ended up waiting half an hour for the person to show up to take me to my new room. As it coincidentally turns out, a couple days or so before I left, I was sitting behind a restaurant off the main road with a classmate of mine. I had pointed out a sign on a nearby building and mentioned that they were renting rooms, and that it would be an even better location than where I was presently living at the time. Now I find out that I am living in that very building! I guess it is ok that I didn't take the phone number and try to call! Such a wonderful example of happenstance in my life!!

This place is closer to school than where I was staying before, costs less, and provides wonderful meals at breakfast and dinner! There is not much more one can ask for. I do have to ask about laundry, but I believe there is a washing machine here as well. I do have to share the bathroom and shower with about 8 other people, but I guess I can handle that. There is one person here who lives on my floor who speaks English. She is a very friendly Korean student at a local university here. It is good to know that if I have any problems, there is someone who can help, if I actually attempt to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment