Friday, March 4, 2011

In Baghdad

It is hard to believe almost two weeks has past since I have arrived. I had expected to start teaching right away, but things did not work out quite that way. The military had put the project on hold to review the safety and security issues involved. I am glad they are doing this as it means they are concerned for our safety. I suppose someone should be!

There isn't a lot to do here, though. I spend most of my time online or eating! I am sure I will gain 100 pounds before leaving here. The food is good and probably full of calories. Not being able to really leave the base makes things a little boring as well.

I am living right across from the US Embassy, so that is an interesting thing to see. I wish I were actually able to go visit, but no one is allowed without a special badge or specific permission. I can understand the security issues though.

People here have been wonderful! We have been getting along and playing scrabble and have also put on a couple of English classes for the people on this compound. I am scheduled to finally be moved to my new location soon! I think I will be teaching pilots... hopefully things at the new place will be as good or better than here.

That is all I can say for now. I will attempt to keep you informed. Let me know how things are going with the rest of the world; I live in a bubble!

No comments:

Post a Comment