Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Permanency" Again!

Well, I have finally made it to my permanent duty location. I will hopefully be here until my contract ends, but things like this are never really certain. I have decided that I need to get a new wardrobe to accommodate the weather and dust here in Iraq. I think that I may be wearing a lot of tanish colors from now on. I need new pants/trousers, socks, shirts, and shoes... I just have to get to the Exchange to see if they have all these things.

I haven't eaten here yet, so I am not sure about the food. I guess we shall see in a few minutes. All in all this trip has been exhausting. The helicopter rides, the cancellations, the newness of the process, these were all contributing factors to my wanting to curl up in a little ball and sleep for the next ten years! Things are better now that I am here though.

The place I am staying is alright. It is somewhat small and I have to share, and I have to walk 200 - 300 meters to get to the showers and the toilet, but I can handle that :P The biggest problem is that there is no self-service laundry; one has to take the clothes in to be washed by someone else and then come back and get them 2 days later. I am VERY not fond of others doing my laundry!

Of course there is the issue of the roommate as well. I really don't like sharing a room at all usually, but I can handle it alright; it isn't the first time by far. Unfortunately, he seems to like it cold, so he has the air conditioner on full blast. For me, that is too cold, and the air conditioner itself makes me a little nauseous. It will be an interesting bone of contention.

All in all, I am happy for now. I will go observe some classes tomorrow so as to become familiar with the program and such. We shall see what happens. I hope to also pick up either a watch or a new cell tomorrow as well. It is important to have a way to wake up and to know what time it is; there aren't a lot of clocks hanging around to let me know.... wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment