Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Exit from Iraq

While I mentioned how I left Iraq, I didn't tell about the most interesting conversation I had while waiting at the air terminal. While I was passing the time working on my computer, a nice 1st Lieutenant addressed me in one of the most common ways people have addressed me in Iraq, "you must be hot in that!" As I was inside, and the air conditioning is set at a level that would make a penguin feel at home, I could truthfully answer that I was not. Of course I couldn't make it that simple, so I replied, "only outside. I wear the jacket for when I am inside."

I assumed that this satisfied him, as he turned away. Suddenly he turned back, as if he had forgotten something extremely important. "What do you do?" Not a very uncommon question either, so I told him I was an English teacher. "Oh. You should know that the rumor around base, because of you hair and your style, is that you are CIA. But now I know, so it is alright."

Now this could explain why it seemed like so many of the soldiers always seemed to be talking about me, looking in my direction and whispering. I wasn't being paranoid, they actually were! I can't help but wonder what other strange things they may have been saying about me. I also wonder if this has anything to do with the change in the way I was treated by the air force before I left. Perhaps this actually explains a lot!

I actually sort of wish that I did work for the CIA, at least then I would have the satisfaction of doing something good while being treated this way for a reason. I suppose that will have to go down on the list of things I never got the chance to do, however. Very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment