Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cairo: The Siren of the Middle East

I am once again in Cairo, Egypt. One may wonder at the intelligence of coming here given the recent happenings (I can hear a demonstration outside as I type), but come I did. Even I can not really figure out the reasoning for such a thing, though perhaps it could have something to do with a friend I have here that I really would like to see once again.

You see, Cairo is a busy city where one doesn't come to relax. Just crossing the street is like taking your life into your hands. Every time I leave the hostel, I have a number of people attempting to offer their "help". They try to convince you that it is just out of the kindness of their hearts, but they are almost always looking for money or some type of favor. Many are selling things at more than what would be the fair market value counting on the fact that the person is ignorant about the worth of such items and locations as to where they could get them more reasonably priced.




I knew when I came that I really did not like Cairo. I came with trepidation in my heart and suspicion in my mind. Of course this tends to make itself into reality in a number of different ways, and this time was no exception. I managed to not have anyone meet me at the airport as agreed, not have my baggage even reach Cairo, and in my moment of extreme anger of it all, I skipped the long line at the customer service counter and started walking toward downtown. Of course I only made it 3.5 hours before I decided that I couldn't do it anymore and I needed to hail a taxi, which I paid what I thought was a fair price, though it seemed like he was expecting more.

I ran into the family of nemeses I encountered on my last visit. The one did not recognize me, and attempted once again to help me. The others saw me and talked about what happened; at least it was amiable. I am soooo sick of having to deal with people, though. I think my next vacation is going to be somewhere I have friends that aren't so busy, or else I will go with someone I know. Maybe I will find someone who would like to go to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and stay in a resort down there. If you are interested, let me know :) The more the merrier! (Up to about 8). Sometime from August 14 or 15 - September 10 (one or two weeks) would be ideal.....

No comments:

Post a Comment