Monday, February 14, 2011

Preparing for Baghdad

I arrived at the airport yesterday around 10:50am. Right after landing I received a call from the hotel confirming that I had arrived and that I had received the information as to where to meet the van to be taken to the hotel. I managed to make it to the spot in a very short time and was told by the person meeting us there that the van would arrive in about 10 minutes. Within this time frame, the van arrived. Unfortunately we had to wait for more people, so we didn't actually leave until almost 1pm!

The hotel is quite nice. I have a large room on the 7th floor with a king size bed and large flat screen tv to myself. While the view overlooks the parking lot, it isn't really all that bad. We had to meet as a group around 3pm. We had a briefing and was told what to expect for the following 3 to 4 days (hopefully it won't be any longer). They explained how we were to use the restaurant and would be able to order anything and it would be covered up to :Breakfast: $10; Lunch: $12; Dinner $22. The food was good, and I didn't have to pay for it (thankfully!!).

After all of the briefings and dinner, we had to finish the online training that we didn't accomplish before arrival. This lasted until around 10pm.; I went to bed shortly after this as I had to wake up around 4:30 the following morning.

Waking up was easy. Went downstairs to have blood drawn, urinalysis, and 2 more vaccinations. This is spread out over 3 hours. Then we have to wait until 11am to eat. Afterward, there will be another briefing or two, and then physicals (though I haven't quite figured out what this will consist of). I had a vision test, a hearing test, and all of that already this morning; what is next?

This may not be all that exciting, but I thought I would let you know what was happening thus far. Hopefully things will get more interesting for you as time goes on.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting. Does Texas scare you more than Iraq?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be more scary if I actually was forced to go outside the hotel and do something! Actually, it has been quite nice here so far, but I am ready to GO!!

    ReplyDelete