Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More prep

Yesterday was an extremely full day! After the morning role call and announcements we went straight into first aid training. This training started out the same as previous trainings I have had so long ago, but it didn't stay that way. This was training to the standards of the Department of Defense (DoD) not the American Red Cross, and there are a few differences which I don't think I will get into here.

We started of learning things like rescue breathing, treating for shock, the Heimlich maneuver, etc. Then we took a much needed break. Then we went into some combat field first aid. We went over tourniquets and marking the victims to inform others of tourniquet use; treating sucking chest wounds, open abdomen wounds, and severed limbs (this is where the tourniquets came in). Finally we had a two minute drill in which a disaster was simulated and we had to provide first aid for around 8 victims. My group lost two: one we didn't find, the other we couldn't get to as there was a suicide bomber blocking our path. The darkness made it a little difficult to work; I should definitely remember to get a flashlight and always carry it with me!

After the 4.5 hours of first aid training, we went over other information we would need. This included recognizing improvised explosive devices (IEDs), gaining a basic understanding of the Universal Code of Military Justice and how it will apply to us as contractors, a brief overview of the Laws of War, a briefing on sexual assault, and information on what to do if you get separated from your group for any reason. Becoming isolated in an area that isn't exactly the most friendly is not an easy thing to handle.

After this training we went to dinner, had a short break and then it was back to another daily briefing. I got to watch 3 or 4 people that arrived the same day I did get their paperwork to be deployed. I must say I was kind of jealous! I am anxious to get out of here as soon as possible now as most, if not all, of the training I was to receive here is done. I will have a day or two of processing when I arrive in Iraq, but at least I will finally be in country.

Most of the people are going to Afghanistan, so they are getting antimalaria pills; I am off to Iraq and won't need them; for this I am overjoyed! The rest of the day is pretty much mine to do with as I please. I will probably spend it answering questions from a reporter from Aljazeera - English about my previous job. I will also take a "short" tutorial from someone. Maybe I will sleep a little as well. If I am lucky, this evening I will be able to get going to the laundromat so I will have only clean clothes to take with me to Iraq (as long as I leave on Thursday as was the previous plan but has yet to be confirmed). Here's to hoping!!






No comments:

Post a Comment