Sunday, August 1, 2010

A day at the airport

One has to wonder why they would willingly stay at the airport all day to catch a flight at night, but this is just what I did. I started in Cusco, Peru around 10:30am. I made my flight landing in Lima around 1:30ish in the afternoon. I waited in the airport for a flight that would leave around 10:55pm. This was the best option as I only had 12 soles left and it would take around 45 soles to go downtown (and Lima is not exactly a place I really wanted to hang out anyway).

I spent most of the day alone at the airport, but met an interesting woman from New York about 4 hours before the flight. She had been in a small town on an archeological dig for the past month. She studies bones! I told her I thought it sounded sort of dry, but I don't think she really believed me. A little while after meeting, we met two girls from Tennessee. They had been on a mission trip tod the jungle. More fascinating stories were exchanged! I couldn't believe how fortunate we were.

We hung out for the remainder of our time in Lima, and said our goodbyes while we waited in line to go through immigration in Fort Lauderdale, Florida at 5:45am. While they went on their way, I made my way to one of the restaurants and ate breakfast. I had a long day ahead of me, and I wasn't sure how I wanted to approach it.

I decided that I would spend all 14 hours of my layover at the airport. I was thinking I may go crazy, but it gave me a chance to relax and make use of the free wi-fi that the airport here offers. I think all airports should offer free wi-fi; it can be a life saver for travelers who have forgotten information, need to contact with someone, or just to have something to do. It certainly made my day a lot less boring and a whole lot more productive!

So now you pretty much know what my day has consisted of: I ate breakfast, got online, chatted, looked up information, watched people, ate lunch/dinner, went online some more, and then I am going to go through security to wait some more. It may sound really boring, but it was just the relaxation I needed after having traveled so far. I am not sure what 11:00pm in LA will bring, but I will deal with that when I arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment