Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The surrealistic life of work and play!

Lately has been interestng times with work. It seems that I have been working without a contract, and now they are asking me to sign one. I was under the impression that the letter of intent would work as my contract for this year, or at least that the contract they would give me to sign would be basically the same as the previous one; however this is not the case. The whole process has made me somewhat dubious about things around here, as does the situation with other workers here.

I am in the process of looking for another job. I received a reply to send copies of transcripts and my passport to a place in Kuait. I have heard that it is a good place to work, and the money is better than here, that is for sure. I am not so sure I want to leave, but if too much more happens here, I am not going to be able to in good faith/concience sign the contract. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

On another note, I started Turkish lessons last night and found it to be quite an interesting experience. If I do decide to stay, I will have people that I can talk to outside of work and something else to do as well. I just have to learn not to immediately dot my 'i's as those with dots are different letters than those without. I learned the word for many yesterday, and much to my surprise, it is the same word used in the Hawaiian English: /choke/. I am not sure how it came about to be the same word, but I am sure not to forget it!

I received a text message today. It was in kurdish and it is inviting "me" to a dinner for someone who has a familiar name. I do not know who it is from, and it is probably a wrong number, but it is interesting to recieve nonetheless. Who knows, perhaps it is from someone at Ishek University who for got the fact that I don't speak Kurdish~ I have to make something up to make it interesting AND make sense....

I will attempt to keep you updated on all the happenings as they unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment