Tuesday, October 6, 2009

my first day of teaching and all other things that have come

Well, it has been a few days since I began teaching (ok, so it has only been two), and I must say it has been interesting. The second year students are back, and they are in rare form. I was so glad to have them in class again, but I had forgotten how frustrating class with them can be. They have to take science, math, and IT Literacy along with English, and they are having a difficult time with it. I found out that their logic skills are a bit lacking, so this is what is making is so tough. For example, they need to know what "scientific process" is, so I asked them "What is a process?" They tell me. Then I ask what "scientific process." They tell me that they don't know. So I explain: "If a process is how we do something, scientific process is how we do science." "Ahhhh!" They seemed to be expressing understanding, so I go a step further: "If scientific process is the way we do science, what is educational process?" This through them.

Seeing their inability to answer I say "educational process is the way we do education. What is educational process?" They still were unable to answer. Not only could they not make the logical jump from one to the other, they even have trouble listening to when I actually give them the answer! This really frustrates me sometimes.

Of course the administration frustrates me as well. I had a new class today, and I didn't find out that I had it until 2 hours before. That is I learned that I had a class, not anything about it such as the level, the number of students, the time! How can one prepare if they do not know these things? The class eventually came, and it went well. The students are very low level, but they really want to learn and are eager to do whatever I ask.

I will end with telling about my first day. It should have been first, but I have such fond memories, that I wanted to save it for last. That day I was being so accident prone. First I kept dropping my marker, then I dropped the cap and it rolled into the whole that is being covered by the teacher's table. After this, I was writing on the board and gesturing, and the marker flew out of my hand. It was so embarrassing, but the students seemed to have fun with it. Finally, as I was erasing the board, the eraser fell apart in my hand! What a day.... the excitement never ends :)

1 comment: