Thursday, August 27, 2009

Is everyone in this city related?

Today I decided not to go to class. I am having a hard time retaining the information they have given me, so I am going to take the day today and this weekend to attempt to process all of that. I went to the American University - Cairo to see about a program I am interested in, but they moved their campus and the guards at the old campus were anything but helpful.

On my way to the university, I was met by a man who said he worked for a travel agency and did adventure travels here in Egypt. He took me back to his shop which was a family owned papyrus shop. They apparently also do actually do adventure tours, but they offered me that only after they showed me all of their papyrus and gave me a brief history of how it is made and where it came from. It was quite educational and interesting actually. I did end up buying some a couple of postcards and some odds and ends...it ended up coming up to 115 pounds (about $23), which I thought was kind of expensive, but I paid it grudginly and started on my way. The guy who sold me the stuff took me to their perfume shop on the next street, and I managed to get out of there without too much trouble after listening to him for only 5 or 10 minutes.

On the way back from the university, I happend by the store at which I returned some things. The person who helped my get my money back was sitting outside. He came up, walked with me, and wanted me to give him money for helping me. He also wanted to take me to his perfume shop. I went with him to his shop, and what would you know: it was the same shop as the one I was taken to that morning! When I told him I didn't want perfume, he offered to take me to his papyrus shop, to which I didn't go. It would have been the same one I had went to that morning.

Then he tried once again to really guilt me into giving him money for helping me. What is it with people using Ramadan as a way of insuing guilt? And when someone helps someone, if they are doing it for the money, then it is not something they are doing to help; it is something they are doing for payment. I do not like to be made to feel guilty about not giving money, so I am less likely to give it if that is the case. I felt bad about it, but I refused to give him money.

Now I find out that my evening plans are not going to happen either. I hate when days go like this. Perhaps my friend will contact me, and we will be able to get together. I know she will be tired after traveling, so this is probably not going to happen...but who knows, perhaps I could get lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Its like the Red Neck South, everyone is everyone else's cousin :)

    ReplyDelete