Sunday, August 9, 2009

In Cairo waiting for class

I rushed to the school this morning because I was supposed to come yesterday, but I was unable to get into contact with them. I was glad of this because I had just come in from Istanbul, and I was quite tired. I got here and took my placement test (almost unnecessary as my Arabic is almost nill). As most of their classes start at 8am, I came about that time, but it turns out that the class they are gong to put me in starts at 1pm! Though I have to do an hour by myself at noon. So now I have to fill this time span with something, but what could it be?

I could study the map that I have in my pocket. Of course it would be slightly difficult as it is in Italian, but I am sure it is close enough that I could figure everything out without too many problems. The only thing is that it would be quite useless. The map is of Istanbul, and Cairo is not enough like it to have any correlation whatsoever. I guess that is not what I am going to do. At least I have the Internet to keep me busy for a little while at least.

Getting to Cairo was an experience. I guess it started when I got to Istanbul. I met a man there who was selling carpets in Cairo recently. His uncle said hello to me in Polish as I was passing him in the street. This was the first time I was ever mistaken for a Pole before! It was quite different and exciting. I also met many people at a meeting and then had tea and coffee with someone overlooking the Bosporus River. It comes highly recommended. (This all deserves its own posting, so I am just touching on it here.)

At the airport while waiting for my flight, I decided I wanted to spend some money, so I went to Starbucks to buy a venti TAZO Chia Tea Latte (extremely good!). While I was standing in line, this blond haired woman walks in front of me and starts looking at the cakes and such on display. I wasn't too happy about it, but I wasn't pressed for time so I just let it go. Then the line seemed to straighten itself out, and she motioned me ahead saying that I was there before her. I insisted that she go first, and I asked her where she was from. When she told me she was from Rome, I was aghast! "You are from Italy and drinking coffee at Starbucks! You should be ashamed of yourself." She smiled and whispered, "the coffee here is horrible! but it is the only place available at the airport." I figured one could not argue with such logic and we took our respective drinks, shook hands, and graciously said good-bye.

The plane ride was fairly uneventful. The person next to me was friendly, but only spoke Turkish and German, so we didn't really speak. He was flying with his wife for a holiday. The food on the flight was alright, especially for airline food. The Cairo International Airport is quite easy to navigate and getting the visa is quite easy as well. I like the little do-it-yourself visa stickers! Only $15! $5 cheaper than the visa into Turkey! What a deal.

Now I am here. $420 poorer for this class (1 hr/day private lessons, 5 hours a day in a class 5 days a week until September 3, with books, registration and certificate. Not a bad deal actually...as long as I can figure out the bus system as opposed to paying 30 EGP to get here and then 30 to get back everyday. I really can't afford that.

No comments:

Post a Comment