Saturday, August 29, 2009

Camels, Pyramids, and Ramadan

Yesterday and today have been interesting days. Actually I guess it has been the past 3 days already. 3 days ago, I was standing on street corner waiting to cross. Out of nowhere I hear "hey!" and there stands my friend whom I lived above in Poland. I knew she was coming, but I didn't expect her to be standing with 2 other people waiting for a cab on a random street corner in downtown. In a city as big as Cairo, one does not really expect to just randomly meet someone who has just arrived from the US five hours before!

Later that night, we went out with an Egyptian guy to a sisha place to have tea and so they could talk and smoke. It wasn't all that great of a place, but this boy who was selling tissue stopped at our table. He seemed to like the hat and spent almost 10 minutes playing with my head and trying to talk with me. It was really kind of cool to make such a connection.

Yesterday, I went to the Cairo Tower and saw the view of Cairo from above. It was a great sight. It was interesting that they tried to tell me that I couldn't go with just a regular Egyptian friend; I was required to go with a tour guide. I found this to be quite strange...but they let me and my friend through anyway.

Today was a long day. I went on a tour, with a tour guide I had said I didn't want. I visited a perfume shop, a papyrus factory, a carpet school, and the pyramids where I went on a camel ride. The camel ride was bumpy and the desert was sandy and the pyramids actually were pyramids in shape...all in all not a very enlightening experience...but fun nonetheless.

Then I came back home and got a message that I was invited to an evening meal with some Egyptians. We are to meet for this meal at around 11:30pm..it is definitely going to be a late one. Ramadan really messes with people's schedules I guess.

I really have more to write, but I don't have time.. My allotment of time on this computer is about to run out, so I am typing fast, and trying to think even quicker...not working to well.

No comments:

Post a Comment