Monday, June 8, 2009

More trouble

I tried to post earlier, but my computer froze and didn't save anything I had written, so now I have to attempt to once again write what was there. Hopefully it will be easier the second time around, except now there is more to write!

Yesterday was a hectic day that caused a lot of problems for everyone. It didn't seem any different than any other at the beginning, but then something happened to turn the rest of the day into an seeming disaster! I was teaching the vets/engineers. Just as the class was ending, I see this face looking in through the window: it is the other teacher. I let the class go, and the other teacher comes in with puffy eyes, a box of Kleenex, and a solemn look upon her face. I ask if everything is alright, and she replies simply, "no" and begins to cry. Then she explained that the dean had had a heart attack. "He was teaching, he turned yellow, he spit up blood, and then he fell down. They took him to the hospital. The mothers said it was a heart attack." I was both skeptical and worried. To me, this did not sound like a heart attack, but I really can't judge as I am not a doctor, nor was a I there to see it happen. No matter what it was quite inconvenient of it to happen during class!

During our break time, we heard back from the hospital that he was ok, and that it was not a heart attack. He had low blood pressure, and there was something that had been bleeding inside, though they weren't sure what. They suspected a bleeding ulcer, but they would have to check. Many students used this as a reason to leave. Some wanted to go visit him at the hospital, but this was not allowed this soon. Many of the girls were crying. It seems they are quite emotional here, and they took this incident very hard. I, on the other hand, being the hard-hearted individual I am, knew that we still needed to have class and proceeded to teach the lesson at the appointed time.

After class, I came to my office and discovered one of my friends who I had not heard from in a while was online. I decided to start a chat with her in order to take my mind off from the happenings. As it turned out, this was not the best of ideas. It seemed that she was having huge issues of her own to deal with and really needed to talk to someone. I was glad to listen, but it meant that I had to not think about mine for a little while and focus on trying to help her. It also meant that another one of my friends was hurting. I tried to help her as best as I could just by listening and telling her it would be alright, but there is only so much one can do when they are so far away.

Finally it was time to go home. I went home and tried to prepare myself to go out with some students and the other teacher as we had previously arranged to do. Then it turned out that we would be able to visit the dean, and the other teacher said that she would like to do so. I told her she would have to call the student and tell him that she wouldn't be able to make it. She said that I could still meet with him. "You don't think I want to go see the dean, too?" With a surprised look on her face, she replied, "you want to come? You can call the student then." "It is your phone, you call him." "You can still meet him you know, and then I can meet up with you later." "You should just call him and let him know what is happening," I said. "You are such a child!" "Yes," I said, "you are." "Here," she said as she handed me her cell phone, "I guess I am too much of a child to make the call." I took the cell phone, tossed it on the couch, and stormed out of the house. I was none too pleased with the way things were going.

I started walking, and continued to do so for about an hour. During this time I managed to fall against a large generator and hit my forearm. I would swear I broke it if I weren't able to move it. I do have a nice bump there as a reminder though. I would probably have kept walking around the city and toward a different one if it weren't already dark out. I started to feel as if where I was going wasn't safe, so I turned back and went home.

While I was in my room trying to sleep, my housemate gets a call from my student saying that he is outside waiting for me. He had called the other teacher and she let him know where we live. So, we were going to go out after all. The two students and I went to the restaurant and waited for about an hour for the other teacher to arrive. It wasn't too much of a surprise as she is always late. What was surprising, however, was that it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. There was an off-handed joke told by one of the students, and she whispered to me "never throw my phone again." I knew that this would upset her which is exactly why I did it. She had just bought the phone two days ago and had been treating it like her baby. Of course for $345 I would think it should be well taken care of! Anyway, she said it in an understanding voice, and I apologized for my behavior. She also apologized for hers and all was forgiven. The rest of the night was filled with talking and laughter.

This morning we were both tired. We didn't get home until 12:50am, so we didn't get to bed until late. School was the same as always. We received more information on the dean. We learned that he is doing well, and they will release him either today or early tomorrow. I will probably have to teach his mothers class, so that will be fun (I hope). Other than that, today has been one rough day of teaching! I had to try and teach the difference between when we use "going to" and "will". There are basic rules, but they are so similar that they are hard to tell apart. And the students still do not want to study; they want to go home early, copy off from each other, and have me give them the answers. I guess that is just the way things go everywhere. Then I also found out that tomorrow is another observation. Hopefully this one goes well, though I am not sure if it will or not. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment