Friday, June 5, 2009

an interesting ending to a LONG day

Yesterday was very long! After getting to the university at around 7:45am, I had to spend the following hour and a half or so writing the test. I managed to get that accomplished just in time. Then there was the test for the vets/engineer students. I fortunately was able to get the coordinator to invigilate the exam by taking over his post in the reading room. I did this because it would give me the opportunity to mark tests that needed to be graded yet. Unfortunately, this did not work out as planned.

It seems that most of the students were under the impression that they were able to go home after the exam; this was not the case. So, many of the students kept asking me to leave, none of them had brought the worksheet they had been handed yesterday that they were supposed to do today because they were allowed to study for the exam. The dean came in and took them to show them some slides, though I don't know where they actually went or what he was doing with them. I decided to just go and mark tests in my office and hope the chaos would work itself out.

As it turned out, for the afternoon class, the other teacher and I combined classes and had a total of around 16 students (a little less I think) (this is out of a total of 36). We watched a Tom and Jerry episode and had the students answer some questions about it. It was alright, but even that was like pulling teeth. Finally it was over, and it was back to marking more tests! We marked until 5pm at which time we left for home. Then the other teacher and I went to Coffee Shop and More to sit, have a milkshake and continue to mark exams. This lasted for almost 3.5 hours!

As we were leaving the coffeeshop, the owner stopped us and asked where we were from and informed us that a Texas BBQ place was going to be opening up behind the coffeshop in a few days! We talked a little bit about home because he lived in Michigan for a long time before returning here. He even used to hang around the place I grew up and the surrounding areas.

Then we took a ride home in a cab. The driver had spent 6.5 years in England. He kept going on about how if I wanted anything I could just call him, and such things like that. He gave me his phone number and told me not to pay for the ride (he was going to charge us 5,000 then agreed to 3,000 at first). I became a little worried with one of the exchanges however. "Have you two had anything to drink tonight?" We replied, "no." The response he gave made me cringe a little and shake my head. "I have."

He seemed to be driving alright, though, so I relaxed a little. Of course he didn't know his right from his left, but we managed to get him to where we live without too much difficulty.

Today was a boring day. I woke up, went back to sleep, woke up, tried to do some stuff on the computer, took a nap, woke up, tried to visit my coworker, she didn't answer so I came home and tried to not be bored out of my mind. I wish I was informed of when the people went on the trip today, I would have liked to have gone. One of the people who decided not to go said that there will be other opportunities to go to this destination, but to me, it isn't about the destination, it is about the journey there and spending time with other people than those that I see everyday six days a week. It is a chance to relax and just enjoy myself. But, yet again, I was uninformed and missed it. Ahh well...perhaps it was for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment