Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Squirrel Told Me "You Must Be Nuts!"

I arrived to the building around ten minutes before it was to be opened. I was not looking forward to the early morning class, but I wanted to be on time and felt as if I were running late. There were three other students already there; three students and a squirrel! 

Just outside the doors, there are two large cement blocks and a trash can. At this moment, inside that trash can is a squirrel foraging through the garbage. He notices me watching him. He keeps glancing up and then back down. Then he looks up. He turns his head and peers at me with one eye and gets a serious look upon his face. I can tell he is assessing me to decide just how much protection he will have to provide his stash. Is it possible to keep it safe from me?

Feeling a little uncomfortable with the looks the squirrel was giving me, I walked over to the side of the concrete block closest to the door. Now that things were safe, the squirrel gave into his curiosity. He jumped   to the first block, looked at me, then started fiddling with his hands as if to say "I'm not doing anything!" I could, however, tell differently!

He jumped to the second block and repeated his actions there. Then he became braver. He looked me straight in the eyes, cocked his head, wrung his hands, and cocked his head the other way. I could see the curiosity on his face. On all fours he inched a little closer, eyeing me with great interest. He jumped back, and then inched forward some more. He stopped at the edge of the block. He looked me up and down and appeared to be getting ready to jump. 

One of the other students then mentioned that there was a squirrel where I was. When the squirrel heard that he was being talked about, he looked me up and down again, and then bounded off around the back of the block. As he exited the premises, I could imagine him saying "You must be nuts!"

No comments:

Post a Comment