Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Travel is Fun, Right?

Have you ever had one of those days where nothing seems to go right? I sort of felt that way yesterday. It was time to say goodbye to Vegas and look back on the seminar I went there to attend. I had learned a lot and attempted to put into action one or two things that I had learned, though I did so with very little in the way of proficiency.

As I did this Monday night, my Tuesday morning came quickly and, as with all my travels, with a bit of trepidation. I had plenty of time to make a cup of coffee, wash the dishes, and watch a little tv in an attempt to relax a bit. I then went to check out about an hour before the shuttle would come to pick me up and take me to LAS, the first airport on my 3 airport day.

I checked in as I normally do, and nothing seemed to suggest the hassles that would come later on. The first flight was uneventful, and I landed in Seattle (SEA) eager for the 4.5 hours to pass, so I could board the next plane. It took a while, but seemed fairly smooth. I even bought some food!

Landing at Chicago's O'Hare airport, however, was not so smooth. The landing itself was a little rough, but it was the lack of luggage that foreshadowed things to come. As I was waiting patiently for my luggage to show itself, I watched the same piece of luggage go around three times before going to ask about my luggage's absence. As I approached the counter, the lady asked me "are you Mr. Rice?" Of course I answered in the affirmative. "Your luggage was routed to Anchorage," she continued.

I filled out the form describing my luggage and stating where I would be. After all of this, it was midnight. I dragged myself out to the shuttle to the Hertz shuttle. We slowly made our way to what turned out to be an almost empty lot. I was told to go to the Gold section and choose any car there that I wanted; the spaces stared back at me laughing! I went into the office, they said they were cleaning a car and were having it brought up for me. It only took about a half an hour or so! Then I was off to my hotel for the night, or so I thought!

I arrived at the hotel about 1:30am. They apologized and sent me to the Best Western down the street. They provided me with a coupon for a free buffet breakfast back at the original hotel as a way of making it up to me! The room I got was a suite, so at least that was good... I then drove the 3ish hours to my next hotel. Hopefully things improve!


No comments:

Post a Comment