Friday, June 3, 2011

Women's "Place"

I went to another seminar in the series on relationships, marriage, and parenting. This one was about making your marriage last a lifetime. The video that was shown gave a lot of good advice and made associations and used real examples that made it much more understandable and practical. The best part, however, was in the discussion.

One woman talked about when Adam and Eve were created, and how people often use this story to indicate that the woman is subservient to the man because it states that she is to be his helper. As it turns out, the Hebrew word means, basically, someone who helps in all things. She is to be a sounding board, a builder of character, someone to help when he is sick, and a nemesis (I really liked this last one). And, apparently, in Psalms this same word is used to refer to God as out helper! If we talk of God and of woman using the same word, this definitely did not have the connotation of subservience or of being unimportant or menial in nature!

Each day is bringing fresh, new ideas as well as just reopening old ones. I am learning a great deal here and hope that I can continue to do so until it is finally time for me to leave.

Tomorrow is a day off from work, but hopefully not from learning. There are many things happening here that I can feel but have no knowledge of. I did ask about it and learned that my feelings are right about this. Oh the inconvenience of being so affected by others feelings...empathy can be negative sometimes!

1 comment:

  1. I always knew God made women for a reason, but with society the way it is it's hard to know just what role everyone is supposed to play. It's good to know that the Hebrew word for that particular "helper" is clear.

    ReplyDelete