Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Odessa for New Years? Of Course! ... Um, Maybe Not.

I have been inundating my readers with numerous blog posts that I hadn't had time to write previously. I now have the time because I am on the break between semesters, and we will have no classes until the 8th of January!

For this time off, many great and wondrous plans were made. All of us English teachers would head off to Odessa for five days of fun in the big city! I was all for it. Getting to better know my coworkers and integrating more into the group seemed like a positive goal. These teachers all arrived in Ukraine on December 1st and had already had the opportunity to bond and work together on schedules and other such projects concerning our teaching. As one of the two that had arrived on the 21st, I was an outsider and had a bit of catching up to do relationship-wise. Interestingly, I was also seen as linked to the other male teacher who arrived the same day I did. All the other teachers assumed that I knew him and was friends with him! This is not true, and it took a bit of work to convince the others of it.

I had purchased a non-refundable Airbnb, tickets on the night train both to and from Kyiv, and had arranged to ride to/from Kyiv with the company driver. We were to leave Saturday afternoon after the meeting. Unfortunately, I came to my senses. The experience of the party the previous night and a slight blow-up at a coworker who was just attempting to help explain something, showed me that I had not been listening to my body. I had been pushing myself too hard and become overwhelmed. I had not taken the time to relax, to take in all the changes that have been happening, or to just get some alone time. I cancelled all my tickets and decided not to go!

While the loss of just over $200 was a big blow to me, I do not regret what I did. I would not have been good company for the other English teachers, and I would probably have felt left out as well (separate train cabin, separate Airbnb, not necessarily part of the group, etc). Staying has allowed me some alone time. I have been able to sleep, catch up on some old movies, video chat with VIPs ;) , and to see some of the nothingness of rural Ukraine. For instance, my walk to Olvesk would never had happened if I were with all the others. No one in their right mind is going to walk 20 Km one-way in the snow and cold to see if something is open. The benefits of the trees, solitude, slowness, and beauty are far too often overlooked these days in favor of convenience. I needed some of the former; it is great that I have finally been able to give myself the opportunity to get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment