Thursday, January 21, 2010

Strangely difficult day!

It seems I really don't know how to keep posting. I guess it has to do with the lack of excitement in my life, though I really should be used to that by now. Basically I go to work, teach, come home, surf the internet and try to reconnect with friends from around the world, and go to bed. There is little variation in it all.

The past couple of days, however, have brought me a bit of frustration. The Western Union was finally open again after almost a month of being closed, so I went to attempt to send money home so it would be available to pay my bills. I handed the person my money, my Western Union card, and the slip that said where the money was to go. He imputed all this information and hit send. Unfortunately, the amount he had typed in was $1000 more than what I had indicated that I wanted to send. He told me that since the bank was closed, he was unable to change it, and that I should come back the next day between 8:00am and 1:00pm. He said that 3pm would be alright as well. I expressed my dismay at this and inquired about the possibility of sending it in a different transfer and then voiding the other one the following day. He said this was not possible. He told me he was very sorry, and that I would have to return the next day.

While I was not happy about it, I realized that there was nothing that I could do. I went home a little upset, but ready to return the next day to get it sorted out. So, around 11am I again went to the Western Union. I walked in and a different man was working. I started to tell him that I had come in yesterday, but he stopped me and told me enough of the information to let me know that he knew who I was and why I was there. He then told me to come back at 3 o'clock! Saying that I was upset at this would be like saying the ocean in moist or that the sun is slightly warm. I was absolutely livid! I managed to break the chain that the pen they have is connected to, and I slammed my fist on the counter. This is, of course, no way to behave, but I didn't think about that at the time. He said he was calling the cops and went to the phone to do just that. I left, slamming the door behind me.

At around 2:30pm, I received a call from the Western Union worker. He asked if I could come then. Of course, I had to teach from 3 - 5, so I couldn't. He said that the bank closed at 5, but that it would be ok. Then at 3:45 he calls again to ask if I could come at 4. I told him I had to work until 5. "The banks close at 5." "Yes," I replied, "I know that." "So, you can come at 4?" "No, I have to work until 5." "Oh. That is a problem." Silence for a couple of seconds. "Tomorrow is holiday. Saturday is holiday. We open Sunday." "Fine. I will come on Sunday." I hung up the phone with a huge sigh.

I went back to my class and finished teaching. At 5pm it was time to go home so I went to the van and waited. While I was waiting for the driver, I get a phone call: the Western Union guy again. "When are you coming?" Perplexed, I respond, "Today? You want me to come today?" "Yes. What time can you come?" "I can come in about 15 minutes." "What time?" "5:30." "Can you come at 5?" "Yes!" Even though it was after 5 already, I had to say yes. By this time I was quite exasperated. "Good. I will wait for you then."

I was so excited to hear this. I wasn't sure what he was going to be able to do for me, but I assumed it must be something as he called me and asked me to come. I arrived there around 5:20 or so. He saw me, waved hello, took the two print outs he had waiting, stamped them, and handed them to m. "Is this correct?" I looked at them and assured him that they were. I signed one and gave it back to him. He told me to look at the screen while he attempted to pull up the information. And we waited, and waited....the internet had once again gone down! I fell on my knees and groaned. "Don't worry. The money is already in America." He gave me my receipt and told me to have a nice day. I looked at the slip, and sure enough, the money had been sent at 2:57! He had sent the money trusting that I would come back that day to be able to cover it. I was very grateful that he did this.

The evening was made even better by an outing with the other two English teachers and the Science teacher and her daughter. We went to the Chinese restaurant which serves what turned out to be very good Chinese food. So, what was a rather rough day, turned into a good one. It is good to have things end on such a good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment