Friday, September 25, 2009

A day of hiding away

I just decided to write again as I haven't done anything all day. I woke up at 4pm and decided that I wanted nothing to do with anyone or anything. Even this typing is a little on the annoying side for me. Perhaps I just need communication much more than I am willing to admit.

Let me get you up to date, so that you can understand why I slept so late and what has been happening here. First of all, the doctor never called back, so I did not get to go to dinner with him, and my engagement was all for not, and so unceremoniously ended! So for that evening, I did what I seem to do so much of here: nothing. I should be used to it by now, but it is still very difficult to get used to. This is especially true when the housemates go out and have Lebanese night with teachers in Khanzad (suburb where the main primary/middle school is), and the girls have girls night. So, everyone is having fun doing what they do, and I am sitting at home unable to figure out what to do as I know no one else to hang out with and don't really feel like going out by myself. The girls call and ask me to bring something over to them, which I readily do. I am rewarded with a piece of apple crumble they have made with ice cream on the side. I stay long enough to eat it, walk one of the girls back to her house as she needed to do something, and continue with my night alone. The girl I walked home was pretty adamant about my "not wanting to come back." I do so hate people making decisions for me. If you don't want me there, tell me you are having a girls night, or you just don't want me around at that time and let it go at that. Don't make it seem like I have so much to do and am choosing to not hang out with you, especially when everyone knows that I am home alone!

The following day was much better though: it was Mexican night! There was so much food! Lindy, one of the new teachers, made quesidillas, homemade tortillas, enchiladas, and some other stuff I was not sure of. There was watermelon, fruit kabobs with a honey-something dipping sauce, and cake. It was wonderful. There were a lot of people, which wasn't so good for me, but I handled it well. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen helping Lindy prepare drinks and more food for the guests, and then I delivered it to them. A very good job for me as it kept me away from people, but also gave me the opportunity to interact as much as I could..

Somehow this party continued on forever. A couple of Kurdish teachers were talking with me, and they said that when they first saw me, they thought that I had no knowledge about teaching, but as I was talking they were impressed with how much I knew. They want me to help them with getting materials together to teach English to two boys who are complete beginners. They said they would pay me for this. Perhaps this could be the start of my own consulting business! Hopefully it works out because I do not have their contact information, and I didn't give them mine, I don't think. They do know how to get in touch with me though, so hopefully this works out.

Late in the evening/early in the morning, the residents of the house and I started a fairly deep discussion about things. It was one of the best discussions I have had, and I think we are going to be able to be very good friends. Unfortunately, this discussion persisted for such a time that I didn't get home until 5:30am! I woke up at 8:30am, though, so I was still good with being up at a reasonable hour. The only problem was that because of this, I was feeling a little too tired to go camping when it came time to go. Of course, I decided to not go for different reasons. Everyone who was supposed to go, other than me, is Lebanese. This is not a problem per say, but they were all over at my house about 45 minutes before it was time to go. They were all speaking Arabic and the only time my presence was even acknowledged was when they first arrived. They are mostly good people as far as I can tell, and I like them, but I didn't want to spend a minimum of a day and a half with people I could not understand or being ignored. This is why I opted to not go. Instead, I settled for the much more common past time of sitting home and doing nothing. I have been so unmotivated lately, and this is a problem.

I am hoping that when I finally have to go into work Saturday (tomorrow), I will be able to get into that work mode and figure things out and become just slightly more motivated. I didn't even sleep until after midnight, even though I was just watching tv and on the computer all day. Then I awoke at 5:30am! This getting up early was annoying, so I decided to go back to sleep. This is the time that I woke up at 4pm.


I haven't cut my hair yet, though I had planned on doing it when I got back. I know it needs it, but the only person to say anything was the teacher who used to work at the university but now works at one of the primary schools. The dean told her that I need to cut my hair and he isn't sure if he is supposed to tell me, or if it is the job of the academic coordinator, who also happens to be my housemate. The fact that he is uncomfortable with telling me to cut my hair annoys me. It seems that everyone is treating me with kid gloves, like something has happened that everyone knows about that has affected the way they feel they should treat me. Some of it is actually good, but others a little odd. I think I need to talk to people to find out if there is something going on that needs to be discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment